In the past couple years, social media and online communication have been booming all over the world. Massive data and information are widely generated more than ever with the digital and mobile technology. People change their behavior. They use their mobile phone or smart phone for almost everything. They share their thoughts, read others opinion, speak loudly in the digital world, and actively interact with others. This occurrence has a significant impact on business and especially marketing.
Nowadays, marketing jobs are no longer about the 4P’s concept or offline publication. It is now digital marketing which involves using blogs, mobile applications, social networking, content sharing sites in communicating and promoting brands as well as analyzing digital data. In consequence, marketers and graduates are expected to be well-equipped with marketing knowledge and capable of using IT, digital tools, and multimedia of social networking.
The future of marketing careers are leaning more towards digital media and it’s a fast growing trend. As reported in Top 10 List: Where the jobs are (2011) by The New York Times, the occupation relating to network system and data communication was on the second rank with 53% job growth. Plus, Prospects, UK also forecasted the future trend of advertising, marketing and PR as it would turn to be digital marketing and new media oriented. These confirm a vast job opportunity of digital marketing, marketing analytics, and/ or related fields.
To grab the chance, marketers and graduates must prepare themselves ready! You must prepare yourself ready. Note the job qualification, develop those needed skills, and make yourself visible.
Digital Marketers Employability Skills
- SEO and PPC knowledge
- Content marketing and blogging
- Social networking such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Storify
- Search Engine Marketing
- Mobile marketing
- Google Analytics
- Google Adwords/ Adsense
- Data analytical skill/ Data-driven Marketing
- Cloud computing knowledge
- Interpersonal/ communication skill
- Project/ team work
- Time management
Once you employ the needed skills for your future career, it is essential to make yourself visible online. These days people google everything so as company. Those whose job is to hire someone are now checking your profile and credibility online! They can simply type in your name and everything about you will pop up in second. So it’s your job to manage your online profile whether on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. Beware of what you post, language you use, and too revealing photos that could ruin your image to the employer and possibly ruin your chance of getting a job.
Tips for managing online profile
- Be active
- Be professional
- Beware of what you post publicly
- Keep your secret or sensitive personal information private
- Update your privacy setting on your social media account(s)
- Build good connection with the prospect companies or successful professionals (can be done through LinkedIn and Twitter)
- Frequently google yourself
- Build your profile through social media (Blog, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
- Sell yourself with uniqueness (Blog can be used to reflect your interest and expertise in what you write)
- Make yourself stand out of the crowd
Lastly, remember that they don’t know who your are or what you do but it’s not too hard for them to search for the truth that you are hiding.
– Lombardi (2012), Mobile Marketing Isn’t Just a Fad – Hiring Demand Holds On [Online] Available: http://www.wantedanalytics.com/insight/channel/occupations/advertisingmarketing/ [Accessed: 14 November 2012]
– Simon (2011), Top 10 List: Where Jobs Are [Online] Available: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/education/edlife/edl-17conted-t.html?pagewanted=all [Accessed: 14 November 2012]
– Waddell (2011), Advertising, Marketing, and PR Future Trends